[Mimedefang] Problem with virus bounces

Ronald Vazquez NLM vazquezr at nlm.nih.gov
Mon Dec 20 08:56:20 EST 2004

Hi

I have been receiving many emails containing the Worm/Sober.I-B64.B,
Netsky.P, Netsky.J and others that have slipped thru our MIMEDefang
TrendMicro configuration.

The Problem seems to be that they're all bounces from nonexistant
accounts/domains where the mailer there returns the WHOLE email as
text inside the message.  It seems that the risk is small that
someone could actually execute the virus as it just appears as
text-garbage in the text-part of the mail and local antivirus
programs detect it...  My manager is not liking this situation
because I'm letting the virus in...

Am I right with my suspicion that MD only handles the attachments
to antivir to scan them?  Has anybody experienced this behavior?  Is
there anything I could do?

Thanks in advance,
Ronald Vazquez