[Mimedefang] Need help with virus notifications

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Mon Dec 13 15:07:29 EST 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 12/13/2004 02:03:52
PM:

> And I don't assume that all other folks have poorly configured firewalls
> that will let viruses go straight out without passing through some form
of
> SMTP relay.  Remember that the viruses have access to the infected PC's
> settings and can pull their SMTP relay from their mail client rather
easily
> ... it's GOING to happen if it isn't already.

Actually, that's old school virus behavior.  A few years ago, they would
look up the outbound relay from the mail client and use that to send their
mail.  Recent ones have changed to sending direct.  My guess is malware
authors found too many of the legit mail relays were running antivirus
software hindering their efforts so they switched to sending direct.