[Mimedefang] Need help with virus notifications

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Mon Dec 13 10:55:18 EST 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 12/13/2004 09:26:25
AM:

> Take the time to identify whether the message is a mass-mailer that
> falsifies the sender's address.  This is simple to do, and it avoids
> attacking an innocent (remember, the bounce might include the infected
> attachment ... and the bounce is going to the one person in the world
who
> DID NOT send the virus in the first place).

Given that nearly all of the current viruses use their own internal SMTP
engines to send directly, a 550 will just kill the virus.  It will only
harrass an innocent third party if the infected email is relayed through a
normal mail server.

Under that situation, I do not feel guilty about that person because I am
not generating the mail, all I am doing is refusing to accept delivery of
it.