[Mimedefang] Need help with virus notifications

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Mon Dec 13 08:16:57 EST 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 12/10/2004 09:54:47
PM:

> As a matter of policy, I reject (550 SMTP reject) any virus infected or
> bad_filename emails.  if there's a legitimate user at the other end,
> they'll get notification of the failure.  if there isn't, the noise
> should be minimal.

I'll second Alan's suggeestion on 550'ing any rejected message.  We had a
situation where someone thought they were sending a MS Word document, but
they were getting an error that we were rejecting it because of the file
name.  After reviewing the logs, I found the file had an extension of URL.
 If I had just dropped it, the sender wouldn't have known it wasn't going
through and would have been upset at the recipient for not responding.

A virus' internal SMTP engine isn't going to care if it gets 550'ed.