[Mimedefang] SURBL lookups no longer happening after upgrade to 2.48

Sven Willenberger sven at dmv.com
Thu Dec 9 09:01:27 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 14:37 -0500, Sven Willenberger wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 12:49 -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Sven Willenberger wrote:
> >
> > > Actually I don't see anything in the logs to indicate failure of the
> > > SURBL lookups. I have tried using both embedded and not embedded perl to
> > > run MD to no avail. Spamassassin is being called from the default
> > > location in the distributed filter.example.
> >
> > I'm unable to duplicate this.  Anyone else?  Please include OS
> > and SpamAssassin version.
> >
> > Regards,
>
> I have found the line in mimedefang.pl that was causing my problem:
>
>    6079         $SASpamTester = Mail::SpamAssassin->new({
>    6080             local_tests_only   => $SALocalTestsOnly,
>    6081             dont_copy_prefs    => 1,
> => 6082             LOCAL_RULES_DIR    => $LOCAL_RULES_DIR,
>    6083             userprefs_filename => $config});
>
> Line 6082 passes LOCAL_RULES_DIR as an argument to the new()
> method/constructor but this does not show up in perldoc Mail::
> SpamAssassin as a valid argument. Commenting out that line (which, by
> the way does not appear in earlier versions of mimedefang) results in
> the SURBL lookups being done again:

> Also the tcpdump does verify traffic now going to the local caching
> rbldns server.
>
> I checked to see if that line was being added by the FreeBSD ports
> scripts, but upon investigating the source distro's copy of
> mimedefang.pl.in I see that line in there as well.
>
> FreeBSD 5.2.1-p9
> SpamAssassin version 3.0.1
>   running on Perl version 5.8.5

After examining spamassassin itself, I found that it places
LOCAL_RULES_DIR after all the regular config items in the hash. After
modifying mimedefang.pl (see attached diff/patch for mimedefang.pl.in)
to do the same, I find that SURBL lookups work. So it wasn't the
presence of that argument/key but rather it place in the hash that
caused SURBL to not work. This is on a 5.3-Stable FreeBSD box running SA
3.0.1 and Mimedefang 2.48. (Verified that the order is still the same in
2.49 as well).

Sven