[Mimedefang] RBL suggestions

Mike Lambert lambert at jeol.com
Thu Dec 9 08:41:44 EST 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Jan Pieter Cornet wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 02:52:48PM -0500, Jason Gurtz wrote:
>> l1.spews.dnsbl.sorbs.net
>> relays.ordb.org
>> sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
>> relays.visi.com
>> list.dsbl.org
>> bogons.cymru.com
>>
>> That's what I use, with very few false positives.  Not very many users
>> here though, so YMMV.
>
> To this list we add: cbl.abuseat.org, very efficient list.

Agreed. Please note that the cbl is included in sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org,
specifically in xbl.spamhaus.org.

> And the NJABL lists dnsbl.njabl.org and dynablock.njabl.org,

Both of which are available as combined.njabl.org.

> I wouldn't recommend blocking on spews, using it to score in spamassassin
> might be enough.

I too recommend using spews for tagging only if false positives are a
concern.

As another posted, _carefully_ read the listing criteria of each list
you are considering using to block email. Also, read SPAM-L, nanae, and
nanabl to keep abreast of the anti-spam and DNSBL world. I have
experimented with many DNSBLs and have settled on the following:

sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
combined.njabl.org
list.dsbl.org

I like to keep the number of DNS queries down so DNSBLs that tend to
overlap with the above three (like relays.ordb.org and relays.visi.com)
are not included.

Many others either produce FPs above my comfort level or have listing
criteria that I do not agree with. If false positives are a concern,
let SpamAssassin query the various DNSBLs and tag accordingly.

Regards,
Mike Lambert