[Mimedefang] RBL suggestions

William Leibzon william at completewhois.com
Wed Dec 8 22:02:56 EST 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Jason Gurtz wrote:

> On 12/8/2004 14:21, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
>
>> I am looking for recommendations for a high quality RBL (preferably free,
>> we're a K-12 educational organization) that is very low on false
>> positives.
>
> l1.spews.dnsbl.sorbs.net
> relays.ordb.org
> sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
> relays.visi.com
> list.dsbl.org
> bogons.cymru.com

He said he wants low false positives as such I would say he should not
be using spews (and using spamhaus list gives similar results with lower
false positives anyway, but even that maybe too much for education
institution). Presense of both relays.ordb.org and relays.visi.com
is somewhat unnessary. Cymru bogons is rather limited implementation as it
only deals with iana /8 blocks, consider using completewhois bogon list
(bogons.dnsiplists.completewhois.com) instead (same 0% false positives) or
use combined bogons & invalid-whois list.

My own ISP and several others I consult are using the following:
  sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
  combined-hib.dnsiplists.completewhois.com
  list.dsbl.org
  relays.visi.com

We've had very very few complaints (< 5 year) of email ever not getting
through from legitimate sources and all of those were for spamhaus, but
spamhaus does block a good chunk of spam (more then anything else we use).

---
William Leibzon
   mailto: william at completewhois.com
Anti-Spam and Email Security Research Worksite:
   http://www.elan.net/~william/emailsecurity/
Whois & DNS Network Investigation Tools:
   http://www.completewhois.com