[Mimedefang] Rejecting mail during SMTP transmission?

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Dec 6 12:15:54 EST 2004

Dan Ferreira wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if this has been considered or done before: an SMTP
> server configured to receive email data, perform the required checks
> on it, and NOT send an OK reply to the DATA command if the email is to
> be rejected.

This is exactly what action_bounce() does.

> So this behaviour would be somewhat against RFC guidelines, but I'd
> like you to consider what I think are major benefits to this kind of
> "preemptive rejection".

No.  RFC says that you should either accept or reject.  It only says you
can't partially reject (which is impossible to do on SMTP level anyhow).
  When you reject, you can reject temporary (telling other side you
currently have some problems, so it should retry) or permanently
(telling other side it isn't going to happen).