[Mimedefang] message/partial

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sun Dec 5 21:20:15 EST 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Carlton Thomas wrote:

> We advise our clients to send multi-part messages to overcome the
> 10 meg limit we impose on a single message.

Wouldn't it be easier on you and your clients to have a pool of disk
space to/from which people could exchange large files?  Then they just
need to upload the file (using a Web interface, for example), obtain
a URL and send that to the recipient.  A cleanup process could empty
out old files periodically.

> One possible solution to handle viruses in these types of messages is
> to create a mimedefang filter which recognises the first part of a
> multipart message and impose a minimum size limit on that part.

That's an interesting idea, but dangerous.  Nothing says a virus has
to be small.

> Would this be a suitable compromise, and is it possible to implement
> it using in a mimedefang filter?

It's easy to implement in a mimedefang filter, but I don't think it's a
good idea.