[Mimedefang] Re: Lycos Screen saver that attacks Spammers, Ah more off topic...

Jan Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 3 17:21:20 EST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 07:05:32AM -0600, Ian Mitchell wrote:
> >> Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
> >> Guess who gets eaten.

Sounds more like revolution to me. But I don't blame you for not
recognising democracy, living in a dictatorship :)

> I don't think what Lycos is doing is illegal

IANAL, but this sure is illegal according to our AUP, and most ISP's
AUPs on this planet. Lycos is orchestrating a DDoS. The fact that they
are not bringing the servers down is a red herring, it causes slowdown
and excess traffic, that's enough. It can easily hit innocent bystanders
(Spammers are already hosting spamvertised sites and even nameservers on
0wn3d boxen, thanks to registrars that are happy to modify NS records
instantly with just an XMLRPC call).

> extradite someone from Bangladesh because they sent
> someone an email that the recipient didn't ask for. Can you see the state
> department for China now? "You wanna what? ummm... No."

Umm... probably because the Chinese don't want to hack through the
Indian armies before reaching the border of Bangladesh, and then invade
that country too? (If you want someone from Bangladesh, take a submarine
and navigate to their front door, or what's left of it after the floods.
No need to even surface, given the "right" weather conditions).

It would be just as rediculous as asking the US to capture and
extradite some random Manuel from Panama (oh, wait...)

</offtopic> (List-mom: you can probably kill this thread any time now)

--
#!perl -wpl # mmfppfmpmmpp mmpffm <pmmppfmfpppppfmmmf at fpffmm4mmmpmfpmf.ppppmf>
$p=3-2*/[^\W\dmpf_]/i;s.[a-z]{$p}.vec($f=join('',$p-1?chr(sub{$_[0]*9+$_[1]*3+