OT: Secure MDA (was Re: [Mimedefang] Need to turn off CC in Defang Notifications)

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Thu Dec 2 02:16:37 EST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Joseph Brennan wrote:

> hosts and mail servers, but if the mail server reads .procmailrc
> over NFS, users can therefore execute programs on the mail server
> just by receiving mail.

This is, in fact, our setup.
In the past, we had too much trouble, e.g. ill-written scripts, that
consumed lots of CPU and memory, even bouncers and other servers got
invoked.
Actually, I'd stick message filtering to pick some proper maildrop
directories and/or to forward to another mail address.

I considered to move the user .procmailrc's into some local place with
web-interface and parse the contents prior installing it, e.g. to reject
the conf file, when a '|' character is found; but I haven't tested the
idea, yet.

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser