[Mimedefang] Lycos Screensaver that attacks Spammers

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Dec 1 11:33:45 EST 2004

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 12/01/2004 10:29:57
AM:

> While I question the 100% legality of such a tactic, it DOES make sense
that
> we could make a SURBL site-still-online-verification-list that would
cause
> an LWP request to URLs per incoming email. This could be used to verify
that
> websites are still online which is valid and is done in response only to

> email received at your server.

The system doesn't attach the sending mail servers.  In fact they state "
The targets generally are not the servers used to do the actual mailings;
these days, those servers are most often legitimate ones co-opted into
spamming by viruses and worms."  Well, maybe sites that have such mail
servers should be impacted enough so that they clean them up.  Not that
causing extra expense and performance problems for the spamvertized web
sites is a bad thing, but I doubt it will do much to clean up our inboxes.

I do think the creator is opening themselves to a lawsuit and other
retaliation (DOS from spammers).  I'm having touble connecting myself to
even look at it.