[Mimedefang] Question about Virus Scanners

SRAR Mail Administrator mailadm at srar.com
Wed Aug 11 15:33:15 EDT 2004

On Aug 11, 2004, at 11:42 AM, Adam Lanier wrote:

> Mark Penkower wrote:
> | For those of you using linux virus scanners with MimeDefang, what
> other vendors had defs out as quickly as Mcafee?
>
> Sophos had an update around 3:00 PM EST for the latest Beagle/Bagle
> variant.  They generally have updates fairly quickly.  I regularly see
> multiple updates during the course of the day.

My server downloads IDEs from Sophos every 15 minutes, and we got the
detection @13:10 (PDT) on Monday. ClamAV had it sometime before that (I
don't log what arrives when for Clam), although it didn't catch it
before it (Bagle-AQ) got through a few times - last infected email to
get through was at 12:58 (PDT).  I was a bit disturbed that it wasn't
caught by the Archive::ZIP capability that Kelson Vibber mentioned
previously. I guess it means some overtime $$$ for me this weekend.

--
-Loren K Louthan | tel: 818 786 2110 | AIM: LorenSRAR
-Data Communications Engineer - CRISNet Regional MLS