[Mimedefang] Deadline for SPF records

Tory Blue tmblue at responsys.com
Wed Aug 4 15:49:10 EDT 2004

Sorry for top posting.

Yes this is correct and AOL will be starting to evaluate SPF records
possibly by the end of this month. Some sites in Europe are already making
decisions based on SPF records as well (jumping the gun a bit, but it's
their network).

And Remember Microsoft will be looking at Sender ID records (the combination
of the SPF and Caller ID proposals), however Sender ID is fully backward
compatible with SPFv1. So if you have SPF records published and working :)
your in good shape. In fact some (AOL) have stated they will not change over
to the Sender ID format for several reasons (some of which include (not
necessarily AOL's reasons), they don't want to use XML, they are afraid of
some of Microsoft's copyrights in the Sender ID proposal and while it's free
now, there is nothing that forces this to continue to be free, so MS could
easily turn around and start trying to charge for the use of their
technology. Also the IETF is looking at this and will come to the table with
a standard eventually as well.

I will be visiting MS next week, maybe I can provide further information
after that meeting

Tory