[Mimedefang] greylisting and pop-before-smtp don't play together

Martin Blapp mb at imp.ch
Tue Aug 31 18:51:11 EDT 2004

hi,

> > I'm looking for suggestion to get pop-before-smtp (actually
> > imaps-before-smtp) and greylisting to play nicely together.
>
> Helpful hint: don't. pop-before-SMTP is a pain, and one you can be

This problem is quite easy to solve.

Let the MX for your domain point to one IP adress and do the greylisting there.

Customers send their mail to another IP, where a different MTA is running which
only accepts mail if authentificated by pop-before-smtp. It can use then the
official MX ip as smarthost.

This is exactly the setup we use and it works quite well here.

Martin