[Mimedefang] greylisting and pop-before-smtp don't play together

James Miller jimm at simutronics.com
Tue Aug 31 17:31:30 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestion to get pop-before-smtp (actually
imaps-before-smtp) and greylisting to play nicely together.

The pop-before-smtp implementation I'm using is from
http://popbsmtp.sourceforge.net/.  It creates a popauth.db {Berkeley DB
(Hash, version 7, native byte-order)} file that holds the ip addresses of
imap clients that have successfully authenticated and allows them to relay
mail through our mail server (sendmail 8.13.1).  However this conflicts with
greylisting .  I'm using the file system type greylist that creates
/var/spool/MIMEDefang/greylistdb {Berkeley DB (Hash, version 7, native
byte-order)} file.

The problem is the greylisting function doesn't know about and/or doesn't
exempt the newly authenticated imap clients and when they try to send a
message they get the '4.3.0 message to try again in 1min'.

The greylist implementation I'm using contains the my %exempt_subnets hash
of ip addresses exempt from the greylist check.  Ideally I would like to
find a way for the greylisting feature to also check the list if IP
addresses in the popauth.db file and exempt them from checks.

pop-before-smtp has a --list function that returns a list of IP addresses
that have successfully authenticated.

Unfortunately I am not a perl programmer nor do I play one on TV so I'm not
sure how to go about coming up with a solution to this problem and I don't
want to get rid of greylisting because it catches SOO much of our spam.

Regards,
Jim