[Mimedefang] Intermittent case of SA not groking correct configuration?

Jason Gurtz jason at jasongurtz.com
Mon Aug 30 12:02:56 EDT 2004

This intermittent problem is manifested by spam that comes through
without the Subject: header being rewritten and tagged with
******SPAM******.  The other symptom is the X-Spam-Status: header which
doesn't seem right, especially given the X-Spam-Score: header content
:)  I've included an example inline below.

I guess, really, I'm a little unsure if this is a MD or SA issue, though
I'm leaning towards MD because I'm using it to run SA.  Other than
blacklist_from and whitelist_from entries this is what's in
/etc/mail/spamassassin:

required_hits       4.0
auto_learn          1
use_bayes           1
bayes_path          /root/.spamassassin
bayes_file_mode     0644
ok_locales      en
rewrite_subject 1
defang_mime 0
skip_rbl_checks 0

header    SUBJ_MONSTER_RESUME  Subject =~ /.*Monster\sResume.*/
describe  SUBJ_MONSTER_RESUME  Subject: contains phrase /Monster Resume/
score     SUBJ_MONSTER_RESUME  -5.0

My hunch is that somehow there is another config file being read in
somewhere (but where?)  What really gets me though is why it sometimes
acts properly and sometimes not.

The headers of Spam mail that is properly tagged is first, followed by
one that isn't properly tagged (Interesting that there's no