[Mimedefang] Deadline for SPF records *long w/morbid horoscope*

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Thu Aug 12 15:33:00 EDT 2004

At 10:55 AM 8/12/2004, Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:
>Kelson Vibber wrote:
> > Let's try another ISP-as-MX scenario, this time where the company runs its
> > own mail server as primary MX, but uses the ISP's server as a secondary:
>
>Whoa... stop right there.  If ISPs do this, there's a growing onus to
>maintain a "valid user" list, even without spam/virus filtering.  The
>details are up to the ISP to determine - whether they hook up a scheduled
>feed from the customer (via, say, LDAP) or whether they ask the user to
>manage valid users via a web interface.

No, you missed the point.  Everyone's been so focused on bounces from mail
sent to invalid users.

Bad recipients are NOT the only problem!

- Lots of different criteria can cause mail to bounce.
- Some of those criteria (such as spam filters) are hard to keep in sync
across multiple implementations.
- There are fairly common circumstances under which mail will follow a
chain of servers, and be rejected somewhere other than the first link.

Here's another one: a simple forwarding address.
1. Message hits forwarder.
2. Forwarder redirects message to real mailbox at another service.*
3. Real mailbox is full, or rejects based on spam filtering.
4. Forwarder generates a bounce.

* In this scenario, it doesn't matter whether the sender is rewritten,
because we're assuming the real mailbox issues an SMTP reject when the
forwarder connects.

How do you prevent the bounce from being generated in this instance?

And then there's the problem for which sender verification schemes (not
just SPF, but the entire class) were actually designed, in which the forged
message actually reaches a recipient:
         a. Phishing scams
         b. Trojan software (install this patch now!)
         c. Classic Joe-Jobs (i.e. targeted forgeries to tarnish your
reputation)
         d. Complaints sent to the wrong people (such as your ISP's abuse desk)

If a phisher has to use hotmail.com instead of paypal.com, fewer people are
going to fall for the scam.  If the "Launder your money now!" message is
talking about your site but comes from yahoo.com, again it's going to be
less effective.  If the spammer has to use his own domain name, complaints
will at least go to the right place instead of cluttering third-party abuse
desks.

Sure, PGP and S/MIME are probably more elegant solutions.  But if you think
it's hard getting mail server admins to agree on and implement something
like SPF, just try convincing every man, woman and child on the Internet to
digitally sign every piece of outgoing mail!

Kelson Vibber