[Mimedefang] How to verify that Network tests are workingforspamassassin

Rob rob_macgregor at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 12:17:10 EDT 2004

Sherifd30 [sherifd30 at menanet.net] danced on the keyboard and produced:
> No, but I tried now with defang user, and DCC check  worked ok for the
> sample-spam.txt file, but still it does not work for messages
> comming from
> sendmail, although I send the same file by email from an
> extrenal server.

That doesn't mean that it'll catch it - keep in mind that most of the network
tests will be impacted by the way you send the test mail to yourself.  You
need to inject it directly to your SMTP server, ie:

    sendmail me at my.domain < sample-spam.txt

> sendmail is running as smmsp, MIMEDefang as defang, clamd is
> runnig as root,
> spamassassin is installed as root but it is executable for all.

You're running clamd as root?  That's not good - run it as either defang or
it's own user account.  You should never run any program as root where there's
an option not to.  What if somebody finds a way to exploit it by sending a
mail message through it?

> clamd checks messages fine, spamassassin check only local
> rules, not network
> rules like DCC and RBL for messages going through sendmail.
<---SNIP--->
> I have this same problem on Linux and solaris!

Which suggests a config problem.

Ok, jog the memory please:

Version of MIMEDefang?
Version of Sendmail?
Version of SpamAssassin?
Version of Razor-agents?
Version of DCC?
Entire (non comment) contents of your spamassassin .cf file?
Changes made to mimedefang-filter?

You may want to place the last 2 on a web site, rather than mailing them to
the list, if they're over a few dozen lines each.

PLEASE - keep list traffic on the list.  Email sent directly to me may
be ignored utterly.

--
Rob | What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?