[Mimedefang] Deadline for SPF records

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Wed Aug 11 05:02:38 EDT 2004

Ben Kamen wrote:
...snip...

> But seriously, it's so easy to set up StartTLS on the client side...

you know, you would think that... but, as an example, Microsoft
Entourage (part of Office 2000) for OS X doesn't support STARTTLS, only
SSMTP. sure you can use SMTP AUTH, but you'd have to configure your mail
server to support STARTTLS and SSMTP as well.

as an ISP, you can't be platform biased either. you have to take into
account every possible mail client that anyone using your servers may
attempt to use. like it or not.

granted, *I* don't like it... and I pretty much force all my users (of
my personal domain's mail server) to use SMTP AUTH/STARTTLS, but I only
have about 14 users, and they don't pay for the service so they know
it's my way or the highway. (heh) ...

anyways, I've been thru the "i want it as secure as possible without
being too restrictive for what platform/mail client my users choose to
use" thing.  much easier said than implemented.

alan