[Mimedefang] Deadline for SPF records *long w/morbid horoscope*

Cor Bosman cor at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 11 04:38:48 EDT 2004

> > > This is not odd at all.
> >
> Now, for *real* ISPs (like, say Comcast, who provide both connectivity
> *and* service), most also will not be the MX for *your* domain, unless
> you set up the domain with them and tell them what e-mail addresses
> should be accepted for delivery.  Even so, most still won't then pass
> that on to your server...they assume you are an individual or a group
> of individuals who don't know how to set up a server...that's why they
> offer the service.
>
> Basically, there are 2 ways to deal with domain e-mail:
>   1. receive it yourself on a server you control
>   2. contract out the receiving in some way
>
> The companies that offer #2 also offer ways for you to retrieve the e-
> mail with your MUA software, so they don't *want* to deal with passing
> it on to an MTA.

This is not true. Im not sure how many 'most' ISPs you are talking about,
but I know quite a few ISPs that accept all email for a domain and forward
to a customer. This is most prevalent in dialup/isdn situations where
you basically 'store and forward' all email for customers that are mostly
offline. When they come online that triggers a queuerun towards the
customer. You dont want that customer to have lower MX records because
that would be unfair to senders who most of the time try in vain.

You perhaps confuse ISP with US ISP?

> So, again, I think it's pretty odd for an ISP to be *the* MX for your
> domain but then just pass it along to your server.

And again, you are wrong :)

Cor