[Mimedefang] Deadline for SPF records *long w/morbid horoscope*

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Tue Aug 10 13:47:05 EDT 2004

On 10 Aug 2004 at 9:04, Graham Dunn wrote:

> > There is no reason a backup MX server can't know if an address is valid
> > or not.
>
> How about "scaling"? I'm pretty sure my ISP will run (screaming, no
> doubt), from a scenario in which they rely on their customers to keep
> their list of valid addresses current.

If your ISP allows you to have mail servers behind theirs and they are
the "front line MX" and forward everything to you, then your ISP is
really odd.

If, on the other hand, you just use your ISP as backup MX, *and* they
don't run MIMEDefang, etc., then you lose a lot of the benefits of
running MIMEDefang.

The solution my small (less than 300 employees) company chose was to
put another Linux server *that we control* somewhere else.  We can do
this because we have a couple of different ISPs for our different
physical locations.

> How about "MS Exchange"? :]

How about it?  There are lots of ways you can automatically generate
all valid e-mail addresses from an Exchange server, and get those to a
Linux box in a way that MIMEDefang can use to verify.

We, instead, chose to educate our president and officers about the
actual costs of Exchange, and it left the building quite
unceremoniously.

--
Jeff Rife        |
SPAM bait:       | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/AngryTVGod.gif