[Mimedefang] virus source report?

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Tue Aug 10 00:37:19 EDT 2004

Inside the virus scanner program look to see the relay address and then do
an action notify:

in filter_begin:

 if ($FoundVirus) {
        md_graphdefang_log('virus', $VirusName, $RelayAddr);
        md_syslog('warning', "Discarding because of virus $VirusName");
     if ($ip =~ /143\.30/ {
     action_notify_administrator....
     }
     return action_discard();
    }

Les Mikesell said:
> For some reason we've been getting hit with new virii just ahead of
> their inclusion in the scanner databases recently.  Has anyone come
> up with a clever way to parse the logs or another way to quickly
> notice if the first IP in the received headers belongs to your
> own ranges so that after the scanner detects the virus you can
> quickly find internal boxes already infected?
>
> ---
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering
Montana State University-Bozeman,Montana