[Mimedefang] [resend] Specfile bug: disables service on update

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Aug 9 18:16:28 EDT 2004

[Just in case David missed this, I'm resending.]

I came back from vacation to find MD stopped, apparently due to a power
failure rebooting the server. More investigation revealed a bug in the spec
file scriptlets that handle updates:

$ rpm -q --scripts mimedefang
preuninstall scriptlet (through /bin/sh):
/sbin/chkconfig --del mimedefang

Here's the equivalent stuff for Apache, showing how to handle the update
case:

$ rpm -q --scripts httpd
preuninstall scriptlet (through /bin/sh):
if [ $1 = 0 ]; then
        /sbin/service httpd stop > /dev/null 2>&1
        /sbin/chkconfig --del httpd
fi

(I've removed the irrelevant scriptlets in the output above.)

The initscript symlinks for MD were getting unconditionally deleted on
update, so the next time the box rebooted, MD didn't start, and that in
turn prevents sendmail from accepting any mail.