[Mimedefang] Deadline for SPF records

Dave Williss dwilliss at microimages.com
Mon Aug 9 11:47:31 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les Mikesell" <les at futuresource.com>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 9:18 AM
Subject: RE: [Mimedefang] Deadline for SPF records

> On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 08:21, Joseph Brennan wrote:
>
> > Good point about lists.  Then again referrals would make it really
> > cheap to run mailing lists!!
> >
> > The above looks pretty good.  So RESPONSIBLE could be an alias or a
> > user's .forward file then, anything that causes authorized re-sending.
> >
> > Bounces would go straight to the FROM, I assume?
> >
> > So, all we do is change all the mail servers on the net. :-)
>
> AND change the entire concept of the internet.  I can understand
> why a few big commercial providers might want to claim (and eventually
> gain) control of their customers' actions but it just 'feels' wrong.
>
> The postal mail equivalent would be that you couldn't use your
> own return address when you drop postcards in a public box while
> on vacation.

Actually, if I understand correctly your postal analogy would be more like
you wouldn't be able to use public mail boxes, but no matter where you
are, you should be able to drop a letter in your mail box at home where it
will be picked up by your own mailman.  Of course, the ability to drop a
letter directly in your own outgoing mail box is another issue not directly
related to SPF.  It's a matter of allowing your mail server to relay mail
for
users who can authenticate themselves.

So back to the postal analogy,  you'd could drop a letter in your own
mailbox from anywhere in the world as long as you had the key.
Although, if the authentication is done by password sent in clear text, I
don't think I would like that option.