[Mimedefang] Deadline for SPF records

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Aug 6 10:11:21 EDT 2004

Joseph Brennan wrote:

> One was from our user on a Verizon dialup where he was required
> to send through Verizon's smtp server.  He reported port 587 was
> blocked so he could not do smtp auth to our server.  This has
> not been confirmed.

Verizon does do some funky things to try to insure that their end users
use their mail server with the proper from line & such.  That is,
however, only if you use their mail server.  My experience with them at
a number of different clients has been that they do not block outbound
ports.  So, most likely, the problem that was reported to you was
somewhere between the chair and the keyboard (user error). :)

> One was from an IP on campus but not routed through our smtp
> server.  Solution is to use our server or send with their own
> subdomain in the sender address.  They chose the latter.

:-) That's because they were on your IP network, but going through their
own email server (aka: bad). :)

> The SPF advocates say all such systems must use an envelope sender
> with their own domain in it.  The header From: can still show
> what human sent it.  While this sounds like the right thing to do,
> I wonder how fast it can really be implemented and what pain will
> be caused in the meantime.

There will be pain, that's for sure.  How fast it can be done and how
much pain is involved is really up to the individual organization.  I
had to use the "p" word, but official 'policy' drives everything. :)

-Rich

--
Richard West                   $14.95 Registrations      mailto:rwest at wesmo.com
Wesmo Computer Services        .com .net .org .tv .cc    http://www.wesmo.com