[Mimedefang] Bad RCPT Throttle in the Real World

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Aug 5 19:27:48 EDT 2004

Chris Myers wrote:

>Speaking of ratware, I noticed in a posting elsewhere that Abuse.Net has
>pointed out that really long SMTP banners literally cause some ratware to
>fall over dead.  As an example, see the output of "telnet smtp.abuse.net
>smtp".

    I like 'em short and sweet.  From our two incoming mail servers:

    MX1:
    ----
    220-Please leave a message.  However, you have the right to remain
silent.
    220 Everything you say will be recorded and will be used by us.

    MX2:
    ----
    220-Kemosabe no in tipi now.  You leave um message after little
smoke signal
    220 and Kemosabe get back for pow-wow real fast.

    Hey, I never said they were *valid* responses, but it's a response
no less.  I don't like to advertise what version of mailer we're using,
so I changed it all.

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.