[Mimedefang] Update to MIMEDefang Filter KAM

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Mon Apr 19 11:03:02 EDT 2004

>> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>>
>> >       if ($io = $entity->open("r")) {
>> >         while (defined($currentline = $io->getline)) {
>> >           if ($currentline =~ s/<(iframe|script|object)\b/<no-$1 /ig) {
>> >             $badtag++;
>> >           }
>> >           $output .= $currentline;
>> >         }
>> >         $io->close;
>> >
>> >         if ($badtag) {
>> >           if ($io = $entity->open("w")) {
>> >             $io->print($output);
>> >             $io->close;
>> >           }
>>
>> I wonder:
>>
>> a) You read in all the entity into memory, without size check?
>>
>> b) As you already have all the lines in memory, why don't you apply the
>> s// operation on $output once?

a) Correct, this assumes html text has a natural limit, and it would
be better to actually test it.  Now how do you test the size of an
entity?  Anyone who knows can jump in here.  I probably won't get
to this today.  It is true that this test has run for almost a year
here without a problem that has been noticed.

b) Steffen, it sounds like you have a simpler way in mind to do the
changes and know whether to do the open("w").  What is it?

PS to Kevin- We're "Columbia University in the City of New York" not
the University of Columbia :-)

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York