[Mimedefang] surbl

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Apr 13 12:20:17 EDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Kelson Vibber wrote:

> Then SURBL should be fine.  It's just a RHSBL, built from domains
> advertised in spam rather than domains that (appear to) send it.  A client
> using SURBL just parses URLs out of the message and queries the domain
> names against the SURBL zone.

It still makes me nervous.  An attacker could put hundreds of URLs
in the message, leading to hundreds of SURBL lookups.  This kind of
traffic-amplification just screams DoS to me.  But then, I tend to
be more paranoid than most. :-)

I think SURBL should be used for (let's say) the first 20 URLs in a
message, and if there are more than 20 URLs in the message, it should get
a big spam score and further SURBL lookups suppressed.