[Mimedefang] Feature request: Tar pitting.

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Tue Apr 20 08:36:03 EDT 2004

 --On Monday, April 19, 2004 8:17 PM -0700 Jeffrey Goldberg
<jeffrey at goldmark.org> wrote:

> As a public service, I would like to tar pit connections delivering
> various worms or spam.
>
> So in filter_end, I would like to have functions like
>
>   action_tarpit_discard()
>   action_tarpit_bounce()
>   action_tarput_accept()
>
>   etc.
>
> Obviously you'd only want to do this on a system that always has plenty of
> free connections.
>
> While, I'd like to see this, I'm too lazy to actually figure out how to
> write it.  Do other people think that this would be a worthwhile feature
> to add?  Anybody feel that it is worthwhile enough to write it?

Only do it if you can distinguish cases of your users forwarding
mail in from their other addresses on other systems.

Oh wait, there's no way to do that, is there.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York