Freshclam load (was RE: [Mimedefang] Poll: Time to drop Trophiesupport?)

Paul Murphy pmurphy at ionixpharma.com
Fri Apr 30 05:22:29 EDT 2004

David wrote:

> > I wonder if there's a very light way to announce updates?  Maybe a DNS
> > record with a TTL of a few minutes that gets updated with the latest
> > DB version string?  It might lower the load on the DB servers.
> > (Unfortunately, DNS is not secure.)

At the moment, freshclam makes a HTTP download on two CVD files, which at the
moment are 965Kb and 92Kb.  It does this download whether the file is different
or not, so the load on the servers is much higher than it needs to be, but the
load on clients is minimal.

Far better would be to download a (GPG signed?) version file of maybe 2Kb,
process this to work out whether we are up to date, and if not, then download
the new file(s) in their entirety.

Best Wishes,

Paul.
Paul Murphy
Head of Informatics
Ionix Pharmaceuticals Ltd
418 Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0PA

Tel. 01223 433741
Fax. 01223 433788

DISCLAIMER:
are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please contact
the sender or the Ionix IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 1223 433741