[Mimedefang] nasty multiplexor death

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Apr 27 16:17:13 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Adam Lanier wrote:

> > Is /var/spool/MIMEDefang on a RAM disk?

> no, with 1Gb of RAM I'm not sure I'd be comfortable allocating a RAM disk,

You don't need a very large RAM disk.  Let's say the largest message you
accept is 10MB, and you limit your max slaves to 20.  Then, at most,
you'll have 200MB of mail to scan at any given time, and a 600MB disk will
be more than enough (leaving room for unpacking/processing the messages.)

That's worst-case; in practice, you almost never get 20 maximum-sized messages
all at once, and even a 128MB RAM disk will be enough.

You absolutely must put /var/spool/MIMEDefang on a RAM disk to have any
kind of decent performance.

> Yes, I looked that script over before I started testing mine.  I'm
> currently just doing some testing with this functionality.  Wouldn't
> it make sense for the NOTIFIER feature to notify regarding warnings or
> errors though?

If the multiplexor is croaking, it's hardly in a position to do any
notification. :-)