[Mimedefang] greylist db size limit?

Paul Murphy pmurphy at ionixpharma.com
Fri Apr 23 11:04:26 EDT 2004

Gary,

> Ok, let's just say that you never quite got around to running
> the greylist db cleaner.  Is there a limit to the size that
> the greylist db can get?  Mine suspiciously seems to have
> topped out at 10240000, and didn't seem to want to get any bigger

There's no hardcoded size limit as far as I know, but it depends on which DBM
implementation you are using.  Some are better than others.

> On top of that, trying to run the greylist cleaner, while it said
> that it removed 4000+ entries, didn't affect the size of the db.

The DB files are set up for random access, so all the cleaner does is poke holes
in it which are then available for re-use in future.  To physically shrink the
file, you'd have to write something in Perl which created two DBM tied hashes,
copied the contents of the live one to the backup, and untied the hashes.  Then,
backup the old file and move the new file over it.

Best Wishes,

Paul.
Paul Murphy
Head of Informatics
Ionix Pharmaceuticals Ltd
418 Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0PA

Tel. 01223 433741
Fax. 01223 433788

DISCLAIMER:
are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please contact
the sender or the Ionix IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 1223 433741