[Mimedefang] Spammer zombie group behaviour

Paul Murphy pmurphy at ionixpharma.com
Fri Apr 23 06:58:39 EDT 2004

> I'm just experimenting with adding greylisting, and doing it after
> the RCPT TO. I'm curious as to why Groupwise makes that a problem.

See
http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2004-January/019541.html

Also, note that Groupwise has had several security problems in its SMTP module
over the years, and had a habit of taking the whole server down with it when it
failed to interpret the standard correctly, plus its anti-relaying option didn't
work for a long time, so anyone who was running it as their Internet-visible
server was mad.

I used it extensively in a previous position, and liked the main system (which
was, and still is, much better than Exchange and Outlook), but I had it behind a
Sendmail system.  It will undoubtedly have improved in the last three years, but
I still believe that anyone using a proprietary SMTP server as their main public
interface needs a nice leather couch to lie on - would you make Exchange or
Notes SMTP services visible to the whole of the Internet?

Best Wishes,

Paul.
Paul Murphy
Head of Informatics
Ionix Pharmaceuticals Ltd
418 Science Park, Cambridge, CB4 0PA

Tel. 01223 433741
Fax. 01223 433788

DISCLAIMER:
are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please contact
the sender or the Ionix IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 1223 433741