[Mimedefang] Re: MD upgrade - how?

Andrzej Marecki amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
Fri Apr 23 04:41:03 EDT 2004

Michal Szymanski asked:

> What is the recommended way of upgrading MD?

[...]

> So maybe I should just install the new one over the existing version,
> saving local changes done in 'mimedefang-filter'?

A general advice: be a pessimist and expect things go wrong after the
upgrade. (Sorry David... ;-) Therefore back the old version up to be able
to restrore it quickly just in case. The files to be backed up are:

/etc/init.d/mimedefang
/etc/mail/spamassassin
/etc/mail/mimedefang-filter
/usr/local/bin/mimedefang.pl
/usr/local/bin/mimedefang
/usr/local/bin/watch-mimedefang
/usr/local/bin/md-mx-ctrl
/usr/local/bin/mimedefang-multiplexor

Secondly, since you might have customized /etc/init.d/mimedefang and
/etc/mail/mimedefang-filter, do not compare these files with the ones in the
new distribution but compare the ones in the new distribution with their old
versions in the _original_ old distribution. Then update your customized old
versions *by hand* towards including the new features. That's the way I do
it since my (and probably everyone else's) mimedefang-filter is not so
easily comparable with the templates furnished in the MD tarball.

Andrzej

Andrzej Marecki                |
Torun Centre for Astronomy     |   e-mail: amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
N. Copernicus University       |   WWW:    http://www.astro.uni.torun.pl
ul. Gagarina 11                |   tel: +48 56 6113032
PL-87-100 Torun, POLAND        |   fax: +48 56 6113009