[Mimedefang] Spammer zombie group behaviour

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Thu Apr 22 18:19:47 EDT 2004

> From: Chris Myers [mailto:chris at by-design.net]
>
>     There are groups of spam zombie systems THAT ARE COMMUNICATING
>     WITH EACH OTHER to retry failed deliveries.  If System A fails
todeliver
>     the message, then System B tries, and then System C tries, and so on.

Indeed.  If this were in fact the case, it would be a tremendous feat of
distributed application programming.  My estimation of the programmer would
bump up tremendously (from "scum" to "lowlife".)

On the other hand, perhaps something much less complicated is going on.  I
suggest there's a zombiemaster with a template and a huge list of
recipients.  It parcels the list of recipients out to the zombies and the
zombies report back every once in a while.  The zombiemaster marks the "OK"s
off of his master list, and increments a "Reject" counter for every Reject.
After every email has been tried at least once, the zombiemaster will send
the "Reject: 1"'s out to his zombies in what becomes a random reassignment.
Repeat until every email is "Reject: 5" or more, or until someone comes
along with another template/recipient list/$$$.

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com                805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com   Software Engineer
perl -e"print join er,reverse',','l hack',' P','Just anoth'"