[Mimedefang] relaying for multiple domains and servers and LDAPlookups

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Wed Apr 21 13:37:15 EDT 2004

> Why can't spyware be prosecuted under current hacking laws (at least in
> the US) as an illegal use of computer resources - CPU cycles if nothing
> else?  For that matter, do the same with virus writers.

Assuming this is the more valid Spyware that is installed as a tag-along or
drive by, then the user is "sort of" agreeing to the product.  In Maryland
and Virginia, at least, the EULA is an in force contract.

I know the FTC has recommended some guidelines for MUCH clearer notification
and uninstalls for all spyware (and perhaps more) but currently, the best I
know in the US, spyware is legal.  Heck, even Microsoft does it with IE and
Media Player and Windows Update.

KAM