[Mimedefang] Mimedefang not calling virus scanners sometimes

Bill Maidment bill.maidment at elgas.com.au
Tue Apr 20 20:28:40 EDT 2004

Hi

My set up is RedHat 9, sendmail-8.12.8-9.90, MimeDefang-2.42,
File-Scan-1.02, and ClamAV-0.70 (with freshclam updating).

Because File-Scan identifies the NetSky virus and variants with that
name and ClamAV identifies the same viruses as SomeFool, I would have
expected the first virus scanner (which happens to be File-Scan) to
always pick them up give them all the same name (NetSky in this case).
However the logs show a mix of NetSky and SomeFool names (see attached
graphdefang image), which leads me to the conclusion that for some
reason File-Scan is not picking up the virus first and so it is caught
by ClamAV. That's not so bad, but yesterday we had an older virus
(Welchia-B) get through both File-Scan and ClamAV, even though it was
known to both.

Is it possible that since moving the call to the virus scanners from the
mimedefang-filter perl script to the C code, that somehow the virus
scanners are not always being called?

I may be completely off target here, so please correct any wrong thinking.

Cheers
Bill