[Mimedefang] Slightly OT: System shutdown by non-privledged user

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Tue Apr 20 10:53:50 EDT 2004

WBrown at e1b.org wrote:

> I need to develop a procedure to allow a non-priveledged user (computer
> room operator) to shut down my mail filter systems in case of power
> failure and the large room UPS running out of power.

What hardware & O/S are you using? For example, on Sun w/ Solaris 8 or
later, just hitting the power switch can allow a non-root user to do
a controlled shutdown. Check the man page for your /etc/inittab and
see if it has a POWERFAIL action. In Solaris 9, a POWERFAIL simply
does a: /usr/sbin/shutdown -g0 -i5 -y

Don't remember how, but I think you can limit what users can generate
a POWERFAIL.

Another option, if you are using PAM, you can use RBAC to assign a
priviliged function to a given group of ordinary users.

Just a couple of ideas.

Jon Kibler
A.S.E.T., Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA