[Mimedefang] Slightly OT: System shutdown by non-privledged u ser

Cormack, Ken kcormack at acs.roadway.com
Tue Apr 20 09:27:12 EDT 2004

Dont forget to also restrict logins for that account to just the physical
console.  You dont want people being able to telnet in to do this.

As for the post regarding control-alt-delete "and then powering down before
it reboots", any production Linux server should have it's "3-finger salute"
commented out of the inittab file.  I'll explain why.

In our shop, we have racks and racks of NT servers.  Our Linux mail servers
happen to also be rack-mounted, sharing space in a rack with some NT
servers.  In addition, the servers in that rack share a common
keyboard/video/mouse (KVM).

Now tell me... what happens when an NT admin walks up to the console in that
rack, and hits control-alt-delete to log into one of the NT servers, without
first checking the KVM's menu to see which server is currently the "active"
server on that keyboard?

Bingo... the NT admin has just rebooted your server.

KEN CORMACK, RHCE
Sr. UNIX Systems Analyst,
    Open Systems Group
Sr. Software Analyst,
    TSG Midrange Systems Group
AFFILIATED COMPUTER SERVICES, INC.

"If that that is 'is' is that that is not 'not is', is that that is 'not is'
that that is not 'is'?  It is!" - Ken Cormack

"Sendmail administration is not black magic.  There are legitimate technical
reasons why it requires the sacrificing of a live chicken." - Unknown