[Mimedefang] sendmail not working after mimedefang install

Matthew Thomas mthomas at biocontrolsys.com
Mon Apr 19 17:54:30 EDT 2004

 -----Original Message-----
> From: mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com
On Behalf Of Jimmy Hayes

> Okay I have updated my sendmail.mc and sendmail.cf, and now
> it looks like this, still no luck though. I cannot receive
> emails internally, like from one account to another. Not too
> familiar with sendmail so I am not sure exactly what logs to
> check for.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Can you telnet internally to the smtp port and get an answer?  Is your mail
server dual homed (one public address nic and one internal address nic)?
Possibly your sendmail is only listening on the public address card.  You
can check this by typing "netstat -natp".  You should see a line something
like:
tcp 0 0 10.5.5.1:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 781/sendmail: accep
That first IP address shows what interface sendmail is listening on.
Usually the problem is the opposite of what you describe, though -- local
mail is accepted but not from outside.

Your log file should be /var/log/mail under red hat 9, I believe.  Look for
any mail* logfiles in /var/log.

Regards,
Matt