[Mimedefang] clamd memory leak?

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Fri Apr 16 02:00:46 EDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 WBrown at e1b.org wrote:

> We limit messages to 10 MB.

We use 20 MB.  I wanted 10, my boss wanted 20, so we compromised on 20.

But we still haven't clarified (or maybe I missed it) whether there is
a memory leak in clamav or whether the huge file caused the problems
leaklessly.  I should note that the example/default mimedefang-filter has
a condition on it to not run spamassassin on very large messages.  It
might be safe to do the same with virus scanning.  A worm so large that
most mail hubs would reject on size is not really going to propogate very
far.

Alternatively you could use MD to Quarantine very large messages (if you
are using some web accessible quarantine mechanism).

> > Use ftp for larger messages.
>
> I agree.  Large files should be transfered using something other than
> email.

Just to be picky, I always recommend http in the hopes that someday ftp
will just go away.

> Years ago I read this quote: "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a
> stationwagon full of magnetic tape."  I beleive it was from the
> documentation for Kermit.

Yes.  But the latency is another matter.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
 Hate spam?  Boycott MCI! http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/anti-spam/mci/