[Mimedefang] new installation confusion

Al Sparks data345 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 02:51:19 EDT 2004

--- Mike Campbell <mike.campbell at oracle.com> wrote:
> I've just finised installing mimedefang on a Fedora linux box and it
> seems to be working but I have a few questions. If someone could be kind
> enough to offer some insight I would appreciate it.

I'm new to this also.  Most of my research and testing has been with the
spamassassin module, so that's all I'll answer.

> 1 - I've also got spamassassin installed and it seems that I don't need
> the spamd process running for this to work. I understand that it must be
> using perl's spamassassin module. Is this correct? Am I losing any
> functionality by doing it this way instead of calling spamc/spamd?

You do lose some functionality running it under MD instead of spamd/spamc.

With the spamc/spamd method, SA uses a per/user bayesian filtering.  Since
spamc gets spamassassin involved in the local delivery of email after
sendmail has handed the email to the local agent, and since spamc generally
runs as the uid of the user it's delivering mail to, it's able to tailor
itself to that user.

I haven't gotten that far, so I don't know how yet, but SA run under
MD can do bayesian filtering on a system wide basis.
   === Al