[Mimedefang] MaxRecipientsPerMessage

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Tue Apr 13 15:47:36 EDT 2004

WBrown at e1b.org wrote:

> Because we are getting hit with a lot of spam that is sent to many
> recipients at once.  It seems like this would limit how much of it we are
> going to accept on one message.
>
> Also, is there any way to limit RSET commands on the same connection?
> perhaps onl;y alowing RSET to be issued 5 times, then the connection is
> closed.

The problem with this option is that if you are using a single host or configuration for both inbound and outbound mail, then the limit will also apply to your users. If you use it, 5 is probably as good of value as any under these circumstances.

There are probably better solutions to this problem than using MaxRecipientsPerMessage. A couple of alternative strategies we have found more effective are:
	Bouncing any email that has even a single invalid recipient name (this is trivial to do in sendmail rules -- and fast too!)
	Using BAD_RCPT_THROTTLE to slow down connections that send to bogus users (set to 1).

If you have separate inbound and outbound MTAs, then you can set MaxRecipientsPerMessage to the lowest possible number that will not cause your average non-spam to fail -- something like 2 or 3.

Hope this helps!

Jon
--
Jon R. Kibler