[Mimedefang] surbl

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Tue Apr 13 12:28:28 EDT 2004

On 13 Apr 2004 at 11:52, Michael Faurot wrote:

> In article <000701c42106$eab30e20$17b23992 at umcrookston.edu> you wrote:
>
> > It depends what you mean by "tried this with MIMEDefang".
>
> Literally that.  Is anyone currently using one of the SURBL plugins with
> SpamAssassin in a MIMEDefang environment?

Yes.  It's effectively not much different from a DNSBL check, so all
the usual MIMEDefang caveats for enabling those apply.

So far it's been extremely effective, triggering on ~60% of caught
spam with zero false positives.

My understanding is that the SURBL list utilizes data from SpamCop
reports, with some checks in place to prevent common false positives.
It remains to be seen whether it will remain as effective once the
spammers decide to try poisoning the SpamCop system with false
reports.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager