[Mimedefang] RE: surbl

Jeffrey Thompson jeffrey at thompsonic.com
Tue Apr 13 05:45:41 EDT 2004

  >From: "Richard Laager" <rlaager at wiktel.com>
  >Subject: RE: [Mimedefang] surbl
  >
  >> It looks interesting, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried
  >> this with MIMEDefang?  Will it work with MIMEDefang calling
  >> SpamAssassin by way of its modules?
  >
  >It depends what you mean by "tried this with MIMEDefang". So, I'll
  >respond out of order. In response to your second question, if
  >SpamAssassin supports something by itself, MIMEDefang calling
  >SpamAssassin will utilize such a filtering technique.
  >
  >On a related note, this thought of a URI blacklist is an idea I've
  >had (and shared with others) for a while. We'll see the same problem
  >as we did for Bayesian filtering... Spammers will start including
  >bogus URIs to avoid the filtering (or as a joe job). This is not to
  >say it's useless, just as Bayesian filtering is still useful.

It seems to me that SURBL could be useful as long as the URI database didn't
become corrupted with non-spam-related URIs.  It would probably take a large
group of trusted users to produce this database.  But I think scanning for
spammer-related URIs is a good way to combat spam since the purpose of most
spam is for you to click on their link so they can offer you something.

If anyone is interested the web site is: http://www.surbl.org/ and mailing
lists are at:  http://lists.surbl.org/

Jeffrey Thompson