[Mimedefang] How to know if DCC is working?

Al Sparks data345 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 03:45:27 EDT 2004

I've been running into the same problem.  I probably don't have a
complete answer for you.

I kept checking spam messages until there was an email that included
the header

Note the DCC_CHECK.  I didn't consider DCC to be working until I found
that.  I have one dcc item in my sa-mimedefang.cf file that you don't:

   dcc_path /usr/local/bin/dccproc
   dcc_home /var/dcc
   use_dcc 1
and that's the dcc_home.

You may not need it...

Anyway, check for these errors in your logs:
   Apr  9 22:31:11 ba-aa-aa2 dccproc[29527]: open(/var/dcc/map):
         Permission denied
   Apr  9 22:31:13 ba-aa-aa2 dccproc[29539]: open(/var/dcc/map):
         Permission denied
   Apr  9 22:32:51 ba-aa-aa2 dccproc[29686]: open(/var/dcc/map):
         Permission denied

What seemed to work for me was
   # cd /var
   # chown –R defang dcc

Or in plain English change the ownership of the dcc home directory to
defang (if that's the userid you're using for MIMEDefang to run
under).

One of the mistakes I made was setting to
   dcc_path /usr/local/bin

That didn't work.  You've got to include dccproc in the path.  I don't
consider the instructions clear on that.

One other thing to try is running
    # spamassassin --lint –D
but make sure you save your local.cf file in /etc/mail/spamassassin to
something else (if you care about saving it), and then copy
sa-mimedefang.cf to local.cf.  SpamAssassin by itself doesn't use
sa-mimedefang.cf.  I tried using the --config-file= parameter, but I
got suspicious when the debug output wasn't as robust.

Anyway, I got it to work, so it's finally time for a beer.
   === Al