[Mimedefang] new installation confusion

Mike Campbell mike.campbell at oracle.com
Thu Apr 8 13:22:44 EDT 2004

I've just finised installing mimedefang on a Fedora linux box and it
seems to be working but I have a few questions. If someone could be kind
enough to offer some insight I would appreciate it.

1 - I've also got spamassassin installed and it seems that I don't need
the spamd process running for this to work. I understand that it must be
using perl's spamassassin module. Is this correct? Am I losing any
functionality by doing it this way instead of calling spamc/spamd?

2 - I've installed the clamav antivirus solution. I was initially using
the procedure message_contain_virus but it appears that this will try to
run ALL installed antivirus products. In this case both clamav and clamd
were detected so it would seem that it is calling both of these which is
kind of redundant. I have now switched to use
message_contains_virus_clamd. The question is this: which is better to
use message_contains_virus_clamav or message_contains_virus_clamd, or
just the default message_contains_virus???

3 - Currently I check for virus and then do an
action_quarantine_entire_message followe by an action_discard to not
deliver the email. I would rather forward the virus email to a special
email account virus at localhost rather than put it into a quarantine
directory. Is there a way to do this without having MD check the email
again and thus geting into an infinate loop?

4 - Since I am new to this I am using the default mimedefang-filter. My
end-users will be using outlook express clients. Is there any other
recommended checks that I should do in the filter?