[Mimedefang] 1st time setup help reqeusted...

Mike Campbell mike.campbell at oracle.com
Wed Apr 7 09:28:58 EDT 2004

As you will probably find out if you read this email I am new to setting
up MD. I'm looking for some help to get this configured and running but
want to do it the 'right' way from the outset.

We have a small company of <10 employees all using Outlook express for
reading mail. The mail server is a linux Fedora FC1 machine that is
visible to the internet and sendmail has been configured so that ONLY my
10 users can use it as a relay. All of that is working perfectly.

Now I want to setup MD to filter spam and scan for virus files. I have
installed spamassassin and clamav and tested them independently and they
are both working. I have also compiled MD and it compiled/installed with
no problems.

 From what I read all of the work for MD is done via the mimedefant.pl
script. I am pretty good with perl so I know what is going on but the
length of the script is a little overwhelming to start with.

Can someone give me some pointers for how to accomplish the following:
1 - Scan incoming mail for virus using clam and if found redirect the
email to another account called virus at localhost instead of the original
recipient? If a virus is not found then add a header to state that the
message was scanned and found to be clean.

2 - Scan incoming messages for spam using site-wide bayes autolearning
and auto_whitelisting? If spam is found go ahead and deliver the email
but change the prepend subject to include '***SPAM***' and include a
header showing the SA results. If the message is not spam then add a
header to show the SA results.

Are there any other highly suggested tests that need to be run against
incoming mail that others are using?

Thanks,
Mike Campbell