[Mimedefang] OT: question about graphdefang

Joe Arnstein mimedefang at claireandjoe.com
Wed Apr 7 15:39:09 EDT 2004

Hi all,

My server konks out before graphdefang has a chance to finish graphing.
We're dealing with a very big dataset, so of course running
graphdefang.pl takes a lot of resources/time to process.  It seems to be
building the SummaryDB file OK after about 30 minutes processing--twice
it has created SummaryDB.db, and it was the same size each time--but the
machine seems to choke before the png files are drawn.

I'm using two fixed datasets right now with about a week's worth of logs
in each, and don't want to wait for it to create the SummaryDB file
every time, so I'm wondering: Can graphdefang do the reports using the
existing SummaryDB file (i.e. without rebuilding it from scratch?)   My
plan is to trim the file as soon as it's done generating the reports for
this first week, then do them in one-day increments going forward.

My log files:

$DATAFILES[0] /var/log/archives/maillog.server1  (1,187,000 lines long)
$DATAFILES[1] /var/log/archives/maillog.server2  (735,003 lines long)

-rw-r--r--    1 nobody     nogroup     308711424 Apr  7 11:49
SummaryDB.db
-rw-r--r--    1 nobody     nogroup     308711424 Apr  7 11:14
SummaryDB.db.bak

I ran 'graphdefang.pl --nodb' and it seems to be reading only one of
those datafiles.

Can anyone offer some tips?

Thanks,
Joe Arnstein